Sunday, January 23, 2011

Basic Training GRADUATION!

It is official – David has graduated from BCT! The last five days have been a very LONG, fast-paced, emotional roller coaster ride! Here’s the lengthy recap – better grab a nice hot cup of Joe, some fluffy socks, a nice warm blanket, and sit back and enjoy the story.


Family Day/Afternoon - Wednesday January 19th

I left Tallahassee at 4am to catch my 6am flight out of Panama City. I had a layover in Memphis, Tennessee and then caught a flight to St. Louis, Missouri. All of my flights and layovers went very well, thank God! Two other Army wives and I were scheduled to meet at the airport in St. Louis and rent a car to ride together to Fort Leonard Wood. Well, as we all know, nothing in the world works as perfectly as we plan – and this was no exception. (First, let me go back and introduce the two army wives I have met so far. Stephenie is from New York, and Carrie is from New Mexico.) Stephenie’s first flight was delayed due to engine problems and of course set her layover back a couple hours. She wasn’t sure when she would arrive to St. Louis. Carrie’s flights were all on time, as scheduled.

Because Carrie and I were at the airport, and because we were not sure when Stephenie would arrive, I decided to go ahead and rent another vehicle so we could begin the 2.5 hour drive to Ft. Leonard Wood. I went to the first rental car company – they didn’t have any cars. I went to the second rental car company – they didn’t have any cars. I went to the third rental car company – all they had was an 18 passenger van and a minivan. I politely told the lady that I would take a Ferrari if that was all she had – as long as it had wheels and would get me from point A to point B, I had absolutely no preference. I JUST NEEDED A CAR! $417 later, a car I had…

So, Carrie and I are on our way to Ft. Leonard Wood…feeling horrible for Steph the whole time =/ Finally, we made it to the Family Day “meeting”. Pretty much the most important thing said in the meeting was that graduation may be pushed back, and/ or families would not be allowed on post to watch graduation due to inclement weather heading that way (i.e. snow!). Oh, great…that fit into our day just perfectly! (<-- Insert sarcasm here). Here we are, sitting on post, without our husbands, without Steph, uncertain when she will arrive, and uncertain IF we could even see our soldiers over the weekend…

Finally the guys were released – we had a few hours with them Wednesday evening. We ate dinner on post, shopped for some more of their Officer Candidate School (OCS) gear, and then returned them for “accountability formation”. THANKFULLY, Steph arrived safely and got to wave at John (her husband), AND the higher ups on post decided that families could come on post to watch the graduation ceremony that WOULD be held at 0900, regardless of the weather!



Graduation Day – Thursday January 20th

I woke up this morning, and this is what I saw:













Driving to the Fort:













Graduation Pics:


David was an HONOR GRAD!!!!! (But we ALL knew that was coming, RIGHT?!)

After graduation, we all went out to lunch. Afterwards, we had a few hours to hang out before we had to return the guys back to post. It was sooooo nice to be able to just hang out with our men, like old times.

 
Since it was snowing, I decided to try to build a mini snow man – but to no avail =/

I am SO happy the BCT training is over!


 
Travel Day – Friday January 21st

Steph, Carrie, and I drove back to St. Louis from Ft. Leonard Wood.  We had an ENTIRE day of nothing but traveling.  Carrie got a flight back to New Mexico, and Steph and I continued our journey back to Florida to drive up to Ft. Benning where the guys were headed to begin OCS.  We arrived to Columbus, Ga around 12:30 AM and went straight to bed!

On Post Pass Day??? - Saturday January 22nd

Saturday was the day I was supposed to give David all of his OCS gear.  I was PRAYING he would be able to have a pass so that I could give him everything.  Thankfully, all the guys from Ft. Leonard Wood were given a four hour pass to get the rest of the gear to start OCS.  We were thinking that FOUR whole hours would be FANTASTIC and we could get a couple things they needed, eat lunch, and just chill for an hour or two...yeah, we thought WRONG!  The entire time we were all stressing about getting all their gear so that they would all be able to "class up" on Monday. 
We did get the guys everything they needed.  After we dropped the guys back off at the hold over company, Steph and I went back to the PX to unwind and have coffee. 


I ordered my coffee under MY name...this is what I got.  Coincidence?  You decide. ;-)

CHURCH - Sunday January 23rd

Steph and I decided to spend the night again to attempt to go to church with the guys Sunday morning.  This was a REAL treat since we haven't really been able to worship with them at our sides since before they left for BCT (with the exception of the time they were home over Exodus).  My hope and prayer is that I will be able to drive up to Ft. Benning some weeks to see David in order for us to go to church together.  If I have to drive a couple hours, just to see him for one, I still come out ahead (in my opinion anyways!)

Us after the church service


John and David


FINALLY!!!!!  An OCS Candidate =D



Where David will be staying - 12 weeks and counting!






So, what is from here?!  Tomorrow (Monday, January 24) is shake down.  This is when the guys have to make sure they have all their gear - if not, they have a great chance at being kick backed / recycled (when they have to wait for the next OCS class to begin).  If they pass, they move on to the next phase.
Tuesday, January 25, is the first PT test.  This is VERY important because it will be the first test where they begin earning points towards their ranking in the line up of their OCS class.  Their ranking in the line up is what determines the order of each person choosing their branch.
Wednesday or Thursday is their first obstacle course and Friday is water survival.  PLEASE pray for the guys...specifically David, John (Steph's husband), and Justin (Carrie's husband).

At this point, I am not sure when I will be in touch with David again.  From here on out, things are going to get even more fast-paced and exciting and interesting!  I will keep everyone posted on the status as I receive more info.

Again, thank you all for your prayers and support!!!

xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Ashley for posting this! It was very helpful information, as I am an Officer Candidate going to BCT at LWood in June. Did David have a car at OCS? I will have no vehicle and no one there to help me and was wondering how I will get my gear I need for OCS? Should I have my friends bring my car to me at FT. Benning?Any advice? No one seems to be able help me!!!!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristin! So sorry, I JUST saw your post! Hope I’m not too late in responding to you! I am SO glad it was helpful to you though! David did NOT have a car during OCS, however other OCS candidates did (I believe it is ok to have a vehicle during SR Phase, i.e. the last 6 weeks of training). Do you know which company you will be classing up with yet?
    I lived only 2.5 hours away and had the luxury of coming up to FB to drive him around on a long weekend, or he caught a ride with another candidate.
    David had the majority of his OCS packing list DONE prior to going to FLW for BCT. They allowed him 4 hours once he arrived from FLW to FB on a Saturday morning to run around and get the remaining items on his packing list. There will be things that you cannot get at FLW that are on your list, such as some of the OCS insignia.
    I know that SOME soldiers had their gear shipped to FB for OCS from a family member or friend. If you would like to have a POV, then yes, have a friend bring it to FB, just understand that you will not be able to use it until later in the cycle.
    Advice: BREATHE! YOU CAN DO THIS! OCS is a WONDERFUL thing...being an OCS candidate and going thru BCT as an OCS candidate, the DS will treat you a little differently (from our experience). Your experience in BCT will be the worst...it WILL get better during OCS =)

    I will have my husband go into more detail with you regarding packing list, BCT, OCS questions, if you'd like. Email me your personal email address (my email is a.clark545@gmail.com) and we can also keep in touch thru letters during your BCT, if you would like. MAIL CALL will keep you going if you have friends and family to write you =)

    THANK YOU for writing me! THIS IS TRULY what the purpose of this blog is all about =)

    I will keep you in my prayers <3

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Ashley! I will shoot you and e-mail!!

    ReplyDelete