Monday, October 17, 2011

Our Weekend Adventure

David and I had a great weekend.  He went off to his first day at in processing – although it got off to a rough start.  The electricity kept flipping off and on all night long (which I slept right through) however David was not so fortunate.  Once 5:30 rolled around, I was wide awake primarily from the heat, then David’s alarm clock.  The electricity was still off, so David had to get ready for his first day in the dark…no warm breakfast, water, or lights for him!

With a flashlight…
Ahh that’s better!

So now with the hubs off to work and no “real” job to do – I cooked and cleaned and then headed off to the gym J

Over the weekend we went to the Volksmarch and did the 5K and also went to the Josh Turner concert. I was a smidge disappointed with the “German Food” they supposedly were going to have…it was Bratwurst … which is arguably American at this point J So we saved our $10 on sausage and went to Chickfila instead. Guess the authentic German food will just have to wait until we (hopefully) get stationed there!
And yes, that is a kid in the ruck sack!
Between the Volksmarch and the concert, we drove around town to get our bearings and then needed to make a quick trip to the commissary (grocery store)… I just happened to find a little tack store on the way back to post…so I just HAD to go in, if for nothing else just to sniff the leather and hay J
Afterwards, we braved the Commissary together – it is ALWAYS busy and crowded … definitely NOT the Publix experience by any means. But, it is cheap and has a pretty good selection…and did I mention cheap?! I won’t brag that grilled chicken breast are only 1.70/lb pretty much all the time or that I can get a flank steak for under $5 that I would have usually paid $12 back home J You certainly have to fight for your place in there though…its like a little game of tetris.
As promised, here is a photo of Josh Turner J


And another pic of the concert...



Sunday was good – we have found a church that we are still trying to decide if it is for us…so far so good.  I just keep comparing it to back home and then I am always disappointed…I am still learning that I can’t  compare…it is what it is J
 I am still looking for a job – there are plenty of jobs in the area that would be MORE than happy to have me…at minimum wage.  Don’t.Think.So. (at least not yet!)  Or I can always commute an hour each way to work for a more comparable job to back home (there I go again with the comparisons!)  Probably the most unfortunate thing is that I had to withdraw from m very  first graduate class tonight due to not having a job yet.  Graduate School is very expensive and there really aren’t any programs out there for our rank that will assist military spouses.  We have been very blessed so far to not have any student loan debt and now is NOT the time to start acquiring that – especially in the job market here. 
All in all, we have had a pretty good weekend.  Just taking the ups and the downs, the highs and the lows – it is all a part of life J  David’s official first day with his unit is tomorrow and I will keep you posted on all the adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment