Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Recipe for Success

I’m thinking I may rename this blog to something along the lines of “annual updates” considering that’s about how often I’ve been blogging over the past couple years. I admit, that was not the original intention of this blog. Every now and then, I get the “blog itch” and I force myself to sit down and hammer out some letters on a page.
Even though I am a stay at home mom and full time student, many would argue that “I’m not busy because I don’t have a ‘job’ and that I should have the time to do whatever I decide to do”…I would tell that person that they have obviously never held such a prestigious position of SAHM. I love my job. I love what I do. No, it is not what I went to school to learn to do; rather it is what I’ve learned throughout life. It is the most important position I have ever held and will ever hold. I am paid in hugs and kisses and vomit and fevers. There are glamorous moments, and not so glamorous moments – but I love it. And right now, I know that it is what I am meant to do.
So when pondering the above situation, and trying to decide how I was going to be committed to not just completing my MBA, but mastering my MBA when I could not even be consistent with something as “easy” as a blog, it really got me thinking. I have the responsibility of a child pulling me in one direction, and the desire to do well in school in another direction…and what sort of role model would I be to my son if I just “slopped” through my schooling – probably not a very good one.
So, here is my secret, which is really not a secret at all. It has truly helped me in staying focused and committed to whatever I set my mind to achieve. I was going through my emails back in March, and I stumbled across a body building article. Now you are probably wondering what in the world a body building article has to do with school and raising a family…but let me tell you from experience that body builders are some of the most committed and dedicated individuals I know! This article was written by Skip La Cour titled Upgrade Your Attitude: 15 Ways To Build A Mindset For Results. This is a rather lengthy article, but a very powerful one. I encourage you to read the whole thing. For the purposes of this blog post, I will only be discussing tip one, which is:
WHAT YOU DO RIGHT NOW IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THE WORLD!
Hmmmm…Ok. While Skip is talking about this in the context of building the body, I took this a step further and applied it to all aspects of my life: raising my child, my school, specific assignments, and even the small insignificant daily tasks that must be completed each day. While I am almost half way done with my MBA, I do believe that this thought has led me to success. This is evidenced by my 4.0 GPA (as of now!) My goal at the beginning of school was to graduate with a 4.0. I was never “great” at school; more of a B student than an A student. The good Lord blessed me with common sense rather than book sense (or at least that is what I tell myself.) So I made it a point to strive for a perfect 4.0. I must admit, when I earned my first A, I was giddy with excitement! I went into my next classes feeling like I could conquer the world. But then, through this article, Skip pulled me back down to reality: Doing task X is the most important thing in the world, while you are doing it. However, once it is done, it is done (La Cour, 2013). Ouch. So I knew what I needed to do. I needed to forget about my A’s and drive on with a new, clean slate. Yes, I could be proud of my accomplishments, but I needed to realize my previous accomplishments would not dictate my future success. I knew that I would have to continually improve myself and this would not be possible if I was living in the shadow of my past achievements (or failures for that matter).
XOXO
 
 
 
 
References Used in this Blog Post:
La Cour, Skip. (2013). Upgrade Your Attitude: 15 Ways To Build A Mindset For Results.

No comments:

Post a Comment